Manages and provides acute, chronic, preventive, curative and rehabilitative medical care to patients and determines appropriate regimen in specialized areas such as family practice, prenatal OB/GYN, pediatrics and internal medicine.
Essential Functions of the Job
1. Assists in developing and implementing procedures and protocols to facilitate the delivery of comprehensive health services and quality assurance.
2. Evaluates and manages acute medical problems.
3. Provides inpatient coverage and call coverage as assigned by Medical Director.
4. Screens and monitors the management of chronic conditions, symptomatic and well patients.
5. Provides case management of clinic patients admitted to hospitals and arranges referrals to medical specialties.
6. Coordinates the preparation of reports and written documentation including medical records, as required by the department clinic, state and federal agencies.
7. Supervises Nurses and assistants in examining room and may serve as preceptor for team members developing in expanded medical roles (Physician Assistant and Nurse Practitioner).
8. May provide consultative services for complex diagnostic or therapeutic problems as requested by other staff physicians.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
1. Maintains and updates established departmental policies and procedures as needed, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
2. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, in-service meetings and workshops. Remains current in literature pertaining to primary specialty.
3. Attends meetings as required and participates in committees as directed.
4. Performs other duties as assigned.